Insurance Surgery Opens For Holiday Park Operators
Feeling as passionately as he does on business insurance cover, Peter Heffer, of Lorica Insurance, believes it is time to provide the holiday park sector with greater clarity and certainty of cover.
A unique ‘insurance surgery’ is being created, in conjunction with Lorica Insurance Brokers, to allow park owners and operators the opportunity to have an expert on hand. The service will launch later this year and will be available to all park owners and operators regardless of whether they are members of any trade association(s).
With over a decade’s worth of sector experience, we asked Peter, Lorica Insurance Brokers’ director of holiday parks, to provide insight into policy exclusions park owners, operators and individual holiday home owners should be alert to when purchasing insurance:
• Anything containing the words ‘warranty’, ‘condition precedent’ or variants thereof
• Other conditions requiring the policyholder to do or not to do something
• Theft of property from the open
• Theft not involving forcible and violent entry to or exit from a building
• Water or frost damage during the winter
• Theft and malicious damage during sub-letting
• Business interruption unless specifically arranged
• Caravans and the like whilst in transit and during siting and un-siting
• Buildings constructed in non-standard materials
• Package travel regulations
Many, if not all, of these exclusions are negotiable in the current climate, yet despite this he continues to see a large amount of inferior insurance products in the marketplace. A simple case of ignorance and complacency over customer need and product evolution, advises Peter, who is available for no obligation advice during normal office hours.